baslinux - [BL] Re: Divide overflow

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Re: Divide overflow
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:24:38 -0500 (EST)

Working on the Cyrix computer with Divide overflow problemw hen I try to
boot to ramdisk with 2 floppies.

Scandisk - 100% good
Make_fd:

Disk1

Volume in drive A is PCD330BD
Directory of A:\

COMMAND COM 25,307 03-17-87 12:00p
VDISK SYS 8,227 06-03-03 4:11p
CONFIG SYS 26 06-03-03 4:26p
AUTOEXEC BAT 352 06-03-03 4:11p
CONTINUE BAT 248 06-03-03 4:11p
LOADLIN EXE 32,225 09-02-02 2:10p
ZIMAGE 512,425 01-24-03 6:51a
PART1 399,936 01-29-04 8:23a
Plus two hidden files ibmbio.com 22k and ibmdos.com 30K

Disk2

Volume in drive A has no label
Volume Serial Number is 2F26-0FE9
Directory of A:\

PART2 1,237,762 01-29-04 8:23a

Boot from these disks - Divide overflow
A couple of times I got 'Data error reading drive A:' instead.

--------
Change autoexec.bat to autoexec.bak and do each step at a a time.

Usually it all goes well until I put in disk 2 and hit space bar and get
Divide overflow.

One time while copying zimage from a: to c> (ramdisk) I got a string
of gibberish with hearts and happy faces and the computer froze up and had
to be powered off and on again. This also happened one time on the Intel
computer, which otherwise gets divide overflow problems.

It appears that zimage is not being copied correctly to drive C> (ramdisk)
from drive A: (floppy disk). Sometimes it freezes up, sometimes it is
just copied but cannot be loaded with loadlin and gives divide overflow.

On the third computer it does not seem to be copying part2 but I have not
checked that out without the autoexec.bat yet. Part 2 is supposed to copy
from A: to ramdisk. It just freezes up instead - no lights or noises
from the floppy drive after the first brief lightup.

My partner will look at this when he figures out why the C++ program
written to work with Windows wants him to change something about newline
to compile with DOS DJGPP. (And the file names need to be shorter).

He may try using a later version of MSDOS to make the RAMDISK rather than
version 3 as used in this program, in case that is the problem.

The floppy disks appear to be correctly made, they just won't run because
zimage won't copy properly to the ramdisk.

This computer has EDO RAM - 4x8M SIMMs. The Intel has 4x16M FP SIMMs.
The AMD has 2 DIMMs. I doubt that they all have bad RAM.

The floppy disks from the older version work on this computer (where one
disk was reformatted to hold the entire large file baslinux.gz).

No viruses (just ran a recent download of f-prot).

4DOS also had some trouble accessing the ramdrive. It froze up but could
reboot Ctl-Alt-Del. I had to power off when I got the gibberish while
copying zimage from a: to c>

More in a while. I wanted to get this communicated before my misbehaving
memory lost it.