baslinux - Re: [BL] bl2.10 on bootable CD

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bl2.10 on bootable CD
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:59:01 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Flaig, Benno wrote:
> >
> > Finally, I managed to build an 2.88MB Floppy Image to be burned
> > to an Eltorito Bootable CD. This version of basic linux boots
> > using freedos (http://www.freedos.org).
>
> Sounds interesting. But doesn't that waste 99% of the CDrom?

I'm all for economy and not wasting space, on the one hand. On the other,
I don't know what CD prices are like in the countries various list members
may be writing from, but in America CD R's (write once) can be gotten
essentially for free (watching for ads that offer a rebate of the full
price for 50, 100 or 200 CD's). That's how I got my last batch of 200
CD R's. Even if you buy them at a more regular sort of price, they still
typically cost just a few cents. So the economy of the thing gets a bit
confused: better not to waste 99% of space on a disk you got for maybe a
penny? I'm getting more and more inclined to burn disks where the data
takes up only a fraction of the disk's capacity, as are maybe alot of
other Americans who have access to such low priced media.

James