baslinux - Re: [BL] bl2.10 on bootable CD

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bl2.10 on bootable CD
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 07:24:35 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Only programs I have used recently in X are Opera, XV,
> and once in a while Kermit if I want a scroll buffer.
> None of these will fit in RAMdisk. Nor will Abiword.

XV is around a megabyte. If people wanted it a lot, I might
be able to fit it in. Otherwise, it would be an obvious add-on.

> What do you expect people to use X for on a RAMdisk?

The primary purpose of X on BL3 is to enable old PCs to be
Xterminals (i.e. use networking to run applications resident
on more powerful PCs).

> Links graphical?

Too big (although it would be fine as an add-on). I believe the
old (much smaller) links provides some extra features when run
in X.

> Running CLI programs in windows?

Yes. Having multiple CLI windows (with block copying between them)
can be very useful.

> Will you offer the option of a larger RAM disk so that more
> X programs will fit,

I intend automatically providing some extra space for optional
add-ons. At this stage it probably won't be big enough to
run AbiWord or Netscape (but time will tell).

> and maybe a third floppy disk that is optional at boot time,
> containing the X programs?

No floppies at this stage. It's just the usual unzip to HD and
boot.

> All of our desktop computers have at least 16M RAM.

BL3 will boot on 4mb RAM. That's definite.

> Do any current users want to run X on something with 8M RAM?

I do. Using old PCs as Xterminals is extremely useful.