baslinux - Re: [BL] bl2.10 on bootable CD

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bl2.10 on bootable CD
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:25:29 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Flaig, Benno wrote:

> I am new to Basiclinux and I searched for an Image for a bootable CD. I
> could not find one.
> Finally, I managed to build an 2.88MB Floppy Image to be burned to an
> Eltorito Bootable CD.
> This version of basic linux boots using freedos (http://www.freedos.org).

Congratulations on your success. Sounds very interesting, and like it
could be a help to BL users and promotion of BL. Just a clarification:
you booted the CD from a Freedos partition on your hard drive? Or are
there some Freedos files on the CD itself that somehow aid in booting it?

> I would like to share it with the community.
> - Is there a need to have a bootable CD version downloadable?
> - Whom should I contact or to whom should I send my Image to decide upon?

Steven is the main/only developer, and he frequents this list (I'm sure he
reads it every day). He will surely see your message and respond here. I
think there is a need to have a bootable CD image: let's see what Steven
says. I'd be willing to host it at my BL add-ons site, but it may be
something he'd want to have on the mainpage. You should know, however,
that BL is entering a new stage in development. Likely you made your CD
for BL2: BL3 is now in the works, so your CD image may be "obsolete" (in
the context of BL, which aims to run on obsolete hardware, this descriptor
takes on some new nuances) soon. All the same, it seems like it could be
of real interest to some users and to the project in general. Thanks for
offering it.

James