baslinux - Re: [BL] floppy drive cannot read linux disks

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] floppy drive cannot read linux disks
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:00:55 -0500 (EST)

I ran make_fd on a third computer(Compaq 500MHz that used to have a reset
problem until I fixed that with a command).

First I deleted part2 from the second floppy disk. Dir told me I now only
had 1,296,384 bytes free. I had just reformatted thedisk before trying to
install BL2 floppy version using compuer #2 and it was 100% good 1,457,...
bytes free). Odd. I reformatted again and got 1,457.

I ran make_fd which seemed to do okay.

I tried to boot with these disks. Loaded disk1, I inserted disk 2 and hit
the space bar.

c:part1 -I saw the floppy disk light go on for a second and then
nothing else happened. After a few minutes I tried again, made new disks,
and had the same problem.

I cannot get make_fd to work on three linux computers for BL2.1.

1. Messes up disk1.
2. Won't write to disk2, says it is full. If I reformat it writes but
then won't load disk2. At some point disk2 gets screwed up and has only
1.30 instead of 1.46 MB when I do dir in DOS.
3. Writes to both disks but won't even start to load part2.

These computers are:
1. Pentium I with Cyrix 6x86 P200+ (150MHz which tests to the equivalent
of Intel 133) DFI motherboard
2. Intel 166MHz
3. Compaq Pentium II 500MHz. AMD cpu.

For some reason(s) these were all free computers.

No. 1 once in while needs to be powered on more than once or it won't boot
but that has not happened for a month already. It crashes if you try to
install Win98 at 166MHz, will install it at 150MHz but crashes with Opera.

No. 3 was at the curb with a CD-R drive that won't play music, and no
floppy drive, and Redhat (probably having reset problems). Had a reset
problem in basiclinux fixed with hdparam line in rc.S specifying some
number.

No. 2, board found at the curb, voltage jumpers were set halfway to 2.8
and halfway to 3.3 and we fixed them by setting them all to 3.5 when we
changed cpus (should have been set to 3.3 for Intel 133). Board is
clearly labelled for this. It worked with the wrong settings just fine.

I made the working Bl2.0 floppy disks on a 486 with pentium overdrive cpu.

I have been able to transfer tgz files between computers 2 and 3. I was
not able to read a disk made on 2 using 1 (which won't install Windows).

Perhaps this make_fd program only works on 486s? I presume that is what
Steven tested it on.

Has anyone used it on a pentium successfully?

Maybe all of ours have some hardware problem that only affects them when
using linux to write/read linux files?

Is the older version still available? I replaced it on all my machines.
Would it work with BL2.1?