baslinux - [BL] floppy drive cannot read linux disks

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] floppy drive cannot read linux disks
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 10:30:11 -0500 (EST)

I have a computer (DFI Pentium with Cyrix cpu) to which I was unable to
install Win98 (it kept crashing) at the full 166MHz but it would install
when set back to 150MHz (with any of 3 different cpus) however then it
would crash while loading Opera.
The computer works just fine with DOS and with BL2 ramdisk loaded to the
hard drive.

Recently I tried to run RAMDISK BL2 with Xvesa on this machine but the
machine refused to copy the Xvesa binary file - it gave me a series of
messages with some numbers in them.

I have no trouble copying DOS files.

Today I tried, after making a floppy disk version of BL2 on this machine,
to boot from it.

Half of this disk has now been loaded. (This is Disk 1, with three files)

General Failure Error reading drive A

Abort, retry, ...., fail

I typed f for fail.

At this point Steven's program ignored the failure and told me anyway to:

Insert DISK2.
Strike any key when ready.

I did this to see what would happen and got

Divide overflow.

Is this a motherboard problem of some sort?

I will eventually replace this computer with a few others but would like
to learn from my problem.

I will try another set of BL2 floppy disks in this computer, and this set
in another computer, and report back unless I get the predicted outcome of
nothing working on this computer and everything working on another
computer.

I was going to use floppy disk BL2 in a laptop with working floppy drive
to download BL1. Someone just gave us a 33K external modem. Then we can
transfer (via DOS llpro or linux plip and another computer which does
have a CD-ROM drive) the .tgz files from the SW3.5 CD.