baslinux - Re: [BL] floppy drive cannot read linux disks

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] floppy drive cannot read linux disks
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:27:14 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, russ loroville wrote:

> Sindi,
> I don't really know where your problem is but the instructions have to
> be pretty precise here to make the floppys. The first floppy has to be
> formatted with the systems files on it so that it will boot.The second
> floppy just plain format no systems files. These files
> have to be in the *SAME* directory(before running Make_fd.bat) for this to
> work: Baslinux.gz, Make_fd.bat, Zimage, loadlin.exe, 2m.com, 2mf.exe.

BL2 make-Fd appears to be putting the system files onto disk1 okay and it
boots. I formatted thesecond one format /u. I am in the same directory.
But I have no 2m.com or 2mf.exe - should thesehave appeared when I
unzipped bl2.zip?

They are not referred to in make_fd.bat.

> Then run Make_fd.bat from this above directory. If Make_fd.bat is run from
> another directory it will not be able to find the other files it needs to
> format the 2nd floppy into a 2mb format. By reading the Make_fd.bat
> program (edit Make_fd.bat) you will see what is needed where.
>
> Also some of the older floppys tend to get bad spots on them rendering
> them useless for booting, etc.

Iknow, we have lots of 1.44 floppy disks with bad sectorswhich is why
Ichose three with all good sectors (as shown by formatting them). I tried
twodifferent ones for disk 2. I prefer 720K disks as they go bad much
more slowlyandthe 360s are what I use to store data as they arenearly
indestructible.

I have soslow a connectionthat I cannot see what I typed until a sentence
later and the space bar needs to be banged on this laptop.