baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:03:11 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> When you run Xvesa with icewm, 8-bit color is light
> turquoise and 16-bit color is dark blue. Which color
> do you get with startx -- Xvesa when using icewm?

Blue. I get blue with 800x600x12 and up.
I get olive with 800x600x11 and down.

> I think you must be referring to the 'new' Windows,
> which we have never seen in operation. We just
> started to upgrade people to Win98.

I like your attitude. Over on the Survivor PC list,
people keep discussing Windows XP stuff (and I get
in trouble for telling them that XP is not suitable
for survivor PCs).

> It is another Compaq that was doing frequent resets
> with Linux so maybe they are optimized for Windows
> instead.

Compaqs are well-known for causing problems (unusual
BIOS, non-standard components). I've had several
Compaq-specific problems myself and I've seen lots
of comments from Linux users complaining about Compaqs.

> We have not found much use for laptop computers.

The most useful thing I do with my laptop is presentations.
I occasionally lobby the local Council or address public
meetings where a powerpoint projector is available. I just
plug in my $20 laptop, which autoexec.bats straight to the
first page. I do my pages in HTML and display them with
Arachne in fullscreen mode (with an invisible link to the
even has a built-in editor to design/modify the pages).

Environmental/community groups speaking at public meetings
often find themselves up against a flashy corporate/goverment
powerpoint presentation. All it takes to level the playing
field is an old (throwaway) laptop.

If the laptop is powerful enough to run X at reasonable speed,
there are powerpoint-like programs for Linux. However, for
less powerful laptops (like mine), HTML on Arachne works well.