baslinux - Re: [BL] hard drive resets during 'find'

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] hard drive resets during 'find'
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:23:04 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > could we put in a secnod (50MB) hard drive, format it as
> > the fourth primary partition,
>
> That is not possible. The drive will be seen by Linux
> according to which IDE interface it is on and whether
> it is master or slave. You could then put a fourth
> (or first or second or third) primary partition on that
> drive, but it will have the designation of that drive
> (hdb or hdc or hdd) not of the primary drive (hda).

In our case it would be hdb.

> > and then simply copy ALL the files from the existing
> > linux partition to that one and boot to that one
>
> Yes, copying an entire filesystem from one drive to
> another is possible (using tar). It is also possible
> to ghost the entire drive (including DOS partition
> and MBR) using dd.

I just looked at tar --help and it does not mention anything about copying
files between partitions or drives. Are you suggesting that we
archive/zip all the files into one large one on the other partition? I
really don't follow how you suggest copying all the linux files from hda3
to hdb. Is tar used instead of (DOS) xcopy? Please write this out in
detail, thanks.

I don't think there is room on the linux partition that we have to copy
all the files to a .tgz file on that partition.

> > (modify the batch file for loadlin)?
>
> If the root partition has a different designation in
> the new drive, you will need to edit the root parameter
> for loadlin (on DOS partition). You will also need to
> edit /etc/fstab (on root Linux partition).

Changing /dev/hda3 to /dev/hdb, I think.

> > Or do we need to reinstall everything from scratch?
>
> No.
>
> > Also can we then transfer such a hard drive to another
> > computer with an existing drive that has DOS on it,
> > as a quick way to set up linux for several computers?
>
> Yes.

Thanks.

> Cheers,
> Steven

Unrelated, but the lynx285ssl that I sent James is not really ssl -
something when wrong during compilation, which Doug Kaufmann is trying to
figure out now. Config could not find /usr/lib/ for some reason and
therefore could not find the ssl libraries from openssl.