baslinux - Re: [BL] video cards

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] video cards
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:24:52 -0500 (EST)

> > They are both VESA 2.0 compliant.
>
> Then you should be able to use the frame-buffer Xserver
> (xxfb.tgz) instead of XSVGA. Whether this will give you
> a better display, I do not know. I have never tried the
> FB Xserver.

I installed xxfb.tgz and then ran xf86config. It did not offer xfb as a
server so I selected "accel" and then changed it afterwards manually when
I got an error message "No configured graphics devices for fbdev
graphics driver in "Screen" section." I replaced accel with fbdev.

Then I got the error message 'failed to open /dev/fb0'
Do I need to make some link to, or create, /dev/fb0? If so how and
where?

I put it back to SVGA for our SiS card with 8M RAM and 1600 res (which
means I get only 8-bit color and 1280 res).

The (1999) Slackware 7.1 xf86config is from 1997 and our video chip is
1999. Would setup work better? (The gui configuration program).

keesan