baslinux - Re: [BL] video cards

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] video cards
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:48:45 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> hda is the 8G hard drive. Master on the first IDE controller.
> The CD-ROM drive is hdc. Master on the second IDE controller.
> The CD/RW drive is hdd, slave on the second controller.
> Someone said to put hard drive and CD-ROM drives on different controllers
> so that you could read from the CD to hard drive faster. Perhaps we
> should put the two CD-ROM drives on different controllers if we will be
> copying between them. hda = hard drive, hdb = CD/RW, hdc = CD-R ?

Well, it does sound like it could be a hard drive problem to me. Maybe
that's why it was on the curb?

> hard drive (with find) that is causing the problem. The hard drive appears
> to be okay apart from this error message, at least the part not used by
> linux. A dir/s on the Windows partition never gives error messages. I
> will experiment with and without CD drive mounted in linux. Is there a
> linux version of scandisk?

I've had hard drives that give problems in Win work ok with Linux and vice
versa. What exactly does scandisk do? Can it check a disk independently
of what file system is on it? If not, then ef2sck might be what you're
looking for: it checks ext2 file systems for errors. The only hard disk
integrity-checking product I know of that works independently of file
systems is Spinrite. But it's not open source and costs a fair amount
($90?). I've heard someone knowledgeable about it claim it was worth the
price.

> Do you happen to know how to set up DOS autoexec.bat and config.sys for a
> CD/RW drive (with aspi.sys)?

I know nothing about this - sorry.

James