baslinux - Re: [BL] video cards

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] video cards
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:58:34 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Does anyone have any pci video cards working at more
> than 8-bit color?

Yes, I do. All of my BL2 computers are running 16-bit
color. One of them is using the Mach64 Xserver; all of
the others are using the S3 Xserver.

> These are all older than Slackware 7.1. 1994-1997 video cards.

Then Slackware 7.1 will probably work with them quite well.

> I am getting the impression that SVGA only does 8-bit color,

Then you are getting the wrong impression. Perhaps you should
read a bit more about the SVGA Xserver:
-------------
man XF86_SVGA
-------------

> The PCI cards are Vesa 1.2.

AFAIK, the frame-buffer Xserver requires Vesa 2.0 or better.

> In order to get them to work at all, we had to put in an ISA
> video card, take that out, and then put in the PCI card,
> otherwise there was nothing to see.

That's weird. None of my PCI video card needed that. They work
just fine in BL2.

> A friend explained that this was because pci cards are plug
> and play. ?

PCI is not the same as plug'n'play. The BL2 kernel has the
ability to handle PCI cards (but not PnP).
cat /proc/pci

> So what is the point of changing to a lower resolution than
> the largest one?

I rarely change the resolution. Once I've determined the most
appropriate screen resolution for the hardware/software, I
usually stick with it.