baslinux - Re: [BL] Ted problems

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ted problems
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:11:10 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Day Brown wrote:

> James Miller wrote:
>
> > > The Damnsmalllinux guy offers a nice tool for a service rep to get the
> > > data for a win user, but it wont make a Linux user out of the client
> > > without an immediate browser so he can check his mail. The rep mite need
> > > to bring a real modem.
> > >
> > See above. DSL also has modem configuration scripts built in.
> Close but no cigar. not that it wouldnt sometimes work. But I've gone to
> the OEM website, downloaded the Linux driver, and only after screwing
> around with it for hours to I go back to the fine print to discover that
> it only works with certain motherboards that have a certain sound chip.

Is that fer some kinda voice over modem stuff? I thought you just wanted
to connect to the 'net to exchange data.

> So, yes, they have a linux driver, but you have only 1 chance in 100
> that the damn thing will work. I've also seen, (a hopeful sign) a new
> modem with the install CD that lists drivers for dos & Linux. But that,
> of course, was a real modem.

I'd advise mosyin' on over to www.computersurplusoutlet.com and having a
look through their modems. They've got all kinds of 56K internal modems
fer real cheap ($6 for the ISA ones!) , and I'll bet alot of 'em are
hardware modems. A couple a those'd make yer rescue kit real effective
(1 PCI and 1 ISA).

James