baslinux - Re: [BL] Ted problems

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ted problems
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:01:01 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> do that without addition. However, I agree that BL2 lacks
> several important rescue capabilities. For general-purpose
> rescue, there are much more suitable mini-distributions.
> I recommend tomsrtbt.

Given that what I hope to do after rescuing this partition is to copy over
whatever rescue utils might bail me out in the future on this floppiless
system to the DOS partition, what extra utils would you recommend? Or
could I maybe just put images of tomsrtbt there and mount them as loop
devices on an added ram drive?

> I asked this before (but I never saw an answer): do you have
> a laplink (null-modem) cable which can be used on that machine?

Sorry. I do have such a cable at the other apartment up north, but not at
hand here. I had decided to just go ahead and remove the drive from that
machine and hook it to another computer (got one of those IDE to notebook
drive adaptors) to run fsck on it. I asked my wife to bring it down when
she came but she brought the wrong thing. So, I'm still stuck on this,
with neither a null modem cable nor IDE adaptor to hand. Not much help
you can give there, I'm afraid :) - but thanks for keeping it in mind.

> Or you could get intersvr/interlnk going on the DOS partition so
> that you can readily transfer stuff into the system.

I'll keep that in mind, too.

> Or you could link the modem to another computer with a modem
> and do a non-dialing connection (AT without the DT?). I know
> it can be done because I did it many years ago (in DOS) --
> I just don't remember exactly to do it. Anyway, a null-modem
> cable is easier.

I recall reading how to do this under Linux at some point in the past as
well, but I don't think I printed it out or anything. I don't have a
serial modem down here either, though.

Thanks, James