baslinux - Re: [BL] Ted problems

  • From: Day Brown <daybrown AT hypertech.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ted problems
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:55:24 -0800

3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Day Brown wrote:
> >
> > Corel/debian on an IDE, FREEDOS on the SCSI, set to
> > boot off the floppy. Leave the floppy out, it boots
> > to Linux. Unlike the usual boot menu, I dont havta
> > be at the kybd to make the choice, just turn on the pc,
> > and either shove the floppy in, or not.
>
> I think it's easier pressing one key (from the boot menu)
> than inserting a floppy (and remembering to remove it).
> Boots much faster too.
But I dont havta be at the computer. Just turn it on, either leave the
floppy in or not, and when I get back with my coffee, it's up and
running.

> > All my own writing sits on the dos drive where no online
> > sabotage software can ever do anything to it.
>
> format c:/u ?
I'm online with Linux. gotta do 'su' and pw to access the dos drive from
Linux.

> > the half life of a 'resuce floppy' is about 3 weeks.
>
> And the half life of your DOS boot floppy is ???
A lot longer, cause the boot disk only has to read the first few tracks.
A 'rescue disk' that has an error anywhere can make it useless. It dont
take that much longer, only hasta read command.com, ibm/bio/dos,
config.sys, & autoexec.bat .. all the emm386 & drivers are on the HD,
called from the floppy.