baslinux - Re: [BL] Ted problems

  • From: Day Brown <daybrown AT hypertech.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ted problems
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:41:56 -0800

James Miller wrote:

> > The Damnsmalllinux guy offers a nice tool for a service rep to get the
> > data for a win user, but it wont make a Linux user out of the client
> > without an immediate browser so he can check his mail. The rep mite need
> > to bring a real modem.
> >
> See above. DSL also has modem configuration scripts built in.
Close but no cigar. not that it wouldnt sometimes work. But I've gone to
the OEM website, downloaded the Linux driver, and only after screwing
around with it for hours to I go back to the fine print to discover that
it only works with certain motherboards that have a certain sound chip.
So, yes, they have a linux driver, but you have only 1 chance in 100
that the damn thing will work. I've also seen, (a hopeful sign) a new
modem with the install CD that lists drivers for dos & Linux. But that,
of course, was a real modem.

Then too, there's Lexmark printers. Course, 25% of the time, its yet
another dead Lexmark that results in the call for help.

> > service would prolly do well. I can see where the rescue system mite
> > also need a CD burner as well to backup client data before doing
> > anything else.
>
> Pen drive would probably be a better way to rescue data. The distros
> we've mentioned here support USB pretty well, so that's a real option.
OTOH, I've also seen a USB modem that worked with windows, but not mac,
nor Linux.