baslinux - Re: [BL] Ted problems

  • From: keesan AT iamjlamb.com
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ted problems
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:44:43 -0500 (EST)

This webmail is less than ideal, esp. when used with lynx, so I have only
figured out how to reply at the beginning. I think Joe is only a text
editor (I have installed it) and will not do underlines, centering, or
rtf, but I will take a closer look. The solution is probably to have a
DOS computer and a linux computer, the former for working with text and
the latter for online work. Another thing I have done is type rtf with a
text editor, and I could, I suppose, use Ted to view the results.

>> I have never found a console linux wordprocessor. There are rumors that
>> WP51 console is included in the for-pay Linux WP51 package but not the
>> one
>> that you can download for free. The gui wordprocessors are all designed
>> around mice but some have better keyboard navigation than others.
>> Flwriter is better than Ted in this respect.
>>
> There's nothing like WP5.1 for Linux, unfortunately. I cut my
> document-creating teeth on that one, and would be delighted to know of
> something under Linux with its capabilities as a console app.

You might
> look into Joe, though. I read something about it the other day, that it's
> highly configurable (key mapping) and seems to be non-mouse oriented.
> Don't know if it can save in .rtf or not. Yet another option would be
> Tex/Latex, but that involves learning that typesetting language: once you
> learn the language, you can process your text on any editor. Then you run
> it through the Tex/Latex processor to get final results (e.g., a .ps file)
> or to print. It's pretty inolved. I had aspirations of learning this at
> some point, but I decided it was simply beyond me.

It might involve rewriting Jim's text editor in C or nasm, adding rtf tags
by hand, and viewing with some small X wordprocessor, but I expect I will
probably stick with WP51 for most jobs.