baslinux - [BL] Ted problems

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Ted problems
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:32:37 -0500 (EST)

I installed Ted by unpacking it into /usr/local/ as instructed.
It works. In 1024 resolution it does not fill the screen so I started X
in a higher color mode (startx -- -bpp 24) to get 640 resolution.

I edited xmodmap.std so that the backspace key would act like a backspace
key in xterm and other X programs, instead of a delete key, but now in Ted
instead of acting like a backspace key it gives me plus-or-minus. ???
(To make the new xmodmap.std file work, I edited it, gave it the new name
xmodmap.84 because I have it set to work with my 84-key AT keyboard, and
put a line in rc.S xmodmap /var/X11R6/lib/etc/xmodmap.84)

The plus-or-minus appears in all the dialog boxes where I am trying to
change margins (from the default 1.25" to 1", for instance) and I need to
use the left arrow and delete keys instead of backspace. Do other people
have this problem?

I cannot find any way to center text. The documentation did not help.
Have I missed something?

I cannot find a way to access the menu at the top of the page without a
mouse but this is probably not a bug, rather an oversight or omission.
Can't do super or subscript without the mouse either, but bold, underline
and italic have keyboard commands. Ctl-B, etc. I would like to see Ctl-
plus some character for the super and subscripts, such as Ctl-> and Ctl-<.

Apart from the backspace problem and lack of a way to center text, Ted is
usable without any configuring. I am running it with XS3. 32M RAM.
It crashes (the screen freezes up and I need to exit X) if I don't wait
for Document (under Help) to load before trying to do something else. I
have 32M RAM and no swap file. I am using icewm. There is a section on
how to change things if you are not using GNOME or KDE and window sizes
are not right (if I understood correctly).

I have not found any way to permanently change the settings for left and
right margins or font size - is there a way or must it be done for each
document?

flwriter needs libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3 (as downloaded from Steven's site)
and I could not find this listed anywhere in MANIFEST. Where did I goof?
flwriter did not behave well with plain VGA so I wanted to try it with
XS3.

Has anyone tried Pathetic Writer? It appears to be 1.6M source code and
to need two other libraries totalling 1.5M. The binary .tgz is 1.4M but I
don't know if that would work for BL2. Part of SIAG office.

sindi keesan