baslinux - Re: [BL] Home network with a twisted pair

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Home network with a twisted pair
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:29:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 18 May 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > 1) My home directory and the directory of DrDos have no
> > content.
>
> Perhaps they are not mounted?
>
> > 2)And I cannot go from the SuSe computer to my BL2
> > computer.
>
> In order to mount a filesystem across a network, the source
> computer must be running an NFS server. Your SuSE computer
> is doing this, so any computer on the network can mount from
> the SuSE computer (as long as the permissions are correct).
> However, BL2 does not contain an NFS server (although you
> can add one from Slackware).

This is an interesting thread. Having gotten a bit more comfortable with
networking now, I've begun to wonder how I can transfer files between
computers on my network. Using MC as Constant is doing seems like one
good way of doing that. Can anyone suggest other ways of transferring
files/data on my network? It seems ftp would work, given the right
settings and software. Telnet should allow this as well, but I have yet
to discover how that would work. What are the relative merits/demerits
of the various options? Anyway, please offer any suggestions you can
think of for file transfer/sharing on my small home network.

Thanks, James