baslinux - Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 14:15:44 +0000

keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> There is nothing in bin.tgz that I have not been
> able to do just fine without.

Most of the binaries in BasicLinux you can do without.
Execute 'busybox' and tell me how many of those commands
you have used.

> I am only asking you to inform people that bin.tgz
> is not necessary

It is necessary.

> for a basic installation,

What's a "basic installation"? If you are talking about
the bare minimum, then BasicLinux is *way* too big. A
kernel, bash and a few config files -- that's all you need.

> I simply don't like this approach of installing things
> in bunches because you want a few pieces of the bunch.

Then perhaps you should try Linux From Scratch?
It will enable you to built up your own distribution
piece by piece, exactly the way you want.

> But I have not found any files in bin.tgz that I need yet.

The key word in that sentence is "yet".

> Maybe I can make a Slackware package out of those few files
> that people can download instead of two large packages.
> And add a few things from binutils.tgz (ar and sln).

You are free to make your own alternative version if you
wish; however, I don't support it. A while back, somebody
made a UMDOS version of BasicLinux -- I didn't support
that either.

> Is there something in busybox that works like tar?

Yes.