baslinux - Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 07:01:39 +0000

keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> As I mentioned earlier, I have not until now
> (when you said to use zless) noticed that bin.tgz
> never actually got installed

And as I mentioned earlier, pkgtool depends on
the bin.tgz package.

> so there cannot be too much essential in there.

That depends on how you define essential. My goal
was to provide a foundation that behaves like Slackware
(including the full Slackware package management system).

> Could you just pick out whatever file or files you
> consider important in there (to avoid error messages)
> and make your own package instead of bin.tgz? And
> also do the same for fileutls?
> Is it possible to offer one bl2.tgz package instead
> of the four

That's what I did with BL1. If you want a compact,
minimalistic installation, it's hard to beat BL1.
But the goal of BL2 is different: a minimalistic
ramdisk that transforms itself into a real Slackware.

> and give people the choice of downloading your package,
> or using the four complete slackware packages (in case
> they have the CD)?

I expect most people who install BL2 to HD will use
the Slackware 7.1 CDrom (by burning their own or
buying it for $1). Installing from CDrom is *much*
simpler.