baslinux - Re: [BL] HD installation - not complete ?

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HD installation - not complete ?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:28:14 +1000

Hi James,

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:13:31 +1000, James Miller wrote:

> Ron:

> Could your problem be related in any way to file renaming? When Linux
> files get
> saved to DOS/fat16 media, filenames can be butchered. Most notoriously,
> the
> linux file names get procrusteanized to the DOS 8/3 naming convention.
> Then,
> caps can get changed to lower case, which will throw Linux for a loop.
> This is
> sort of a long shot, since it seems your problems may have other causes.
> But I
> thought I'd toss it in anyway, since I've had to rename files for such
> reasons
> in the past so that Linux could find and use them.

No, not a problem in this case. All the file names seem to be in 8/3
format.

It has turned out that those packages just got scrambled in transit
somewhere.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
http://homepages.valylink.net.au/~ausreg/index.html
http://tadpole.aus.as
-- This mail was written by user of The Arachne Browser - http://arachne.cz/
From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:55:13 +1000
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org

Hi Steven,

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:11:13 +1000, qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:

>> ALL the packages are listed there, and NONE of them
>> have any files in them.

> That means it found all the packages, but every one of
> them was un-readable.

You are correct.

>> I have since checked every one of those packages (as
>> in gunzip -t xxx.tgz) and every one without exception
>> got the thumbs down - invalid tgzp magic.

> They are not recognized as gzips.

You are correct.

>> Don't know why, they were downloaded from legit slakware
>> mirrors, in at least three different sessions, and using
>> Arachne and WizLynx on different days. They were downloaded
>> by, and into, a DOS system. Then loaded onto an external
>> ZIP drive for transfer into the target machine.

> Somewhere in their travels they were altered in some way.
> What is their current size? It is possible that at some
> stage, a helpful program (WizLynx?) automatically unzipped
> them for you. If so, you may be able to fix them simply
> by gzipping them again (the installation routine expects
> compressed packages only).

The duds do seem to be just a few bytes bigger than they should be
according to the directory listing they came from, but just how this
difference was accomplished remains a mystery.

>> Would that have caused any damage to all but the BL2-02.ZIP ?

> Well, bl2-02.zip was downloaded from a different server and
> it was a zip. The gzipped packages might have been treated
> differently by your software. I have heard of this happening
> before, where a package was automatically unzipped but the
> name was not changed (that caused no end of confusion). So
> look at the size -- that should indicated if it has been
> prematurely unzipped.

No, I don't think they have been unzipped - the differences are too
small, just a few bytes.

That is why I posted where and how I got the duds, and where and how
I got the good ones. In case someone else has the same phenomenon.

It is now up and running. Or crawling (in the case of icewm). :)