b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Timothy Lawson <lostntym8 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>, <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 15:14:35 -0600

Dear Bryant,

Speaking to your points 1, 2, and of course 3, I'd like to say that is not how I personally understood Rolf.

As to point 4, I didn't see it as an argument from total silence, since there is evidence of the Tetragrammaton in the LXX and he did point that out. He also pointed to Jerome's comments that seem to indicate he knew of copies with the Tetragram in them.

I don't mind disclosing that I share Rolf's religious views, and know that that is a lens I view things through, but I hope that I am also able to set aside my doctrinal views and look at evidence objectively. I suppose, only true agnostics, can claim impartiality without being called to account for their biases...
I've enjoyed this discussion and have been both informed and edified!

My thanks to all,

    Timothy Lawson