b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: bhebrew AT shields-online.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 00:26:31 +1000

Dear Rolf,

You demonstrate a stubborn insistence on ignoring evidence which does not fit
with your position, so your conclusions are faulty. Stephen Shead has already
offered comments, so I shall not repeat his points. I would like to make one
comment on this claim you keep repeating (and I keep disputing):

RF: There is evidence that in the last two centuries BCE the religious order
at Qumran did not pronounce God's name, but used )L instead. There is no
evidence that different groups in the second or first century BCE used )DNY
as a substitute for YHWH.

MS: You draw your evidence from sectarian manuscripts which contain the name
Yhwh. How can a legitimate claim be made that a word is being used to avoid
use of the name Yhwh when the manuscript already contains the name? Why avoid
it and then use it? It makes no sense.

Obviously the best sort of evidence would be a copy of a scribal manual which
read "We do not write the divine name, we always substitute xyz." Now since
such a text doesn't exist, we need to look for other pieces of evidence.
Other legitimate evidence from the DSS would take the form of manuscripts
which avoid using Yhwh and refer to God. Furthermore, in order to determine
where substitutions of the name are being made, the best indication would be
in quotations from the Tanak. Short of that, the use of alternate forms in
phrases that are found in the Tanak or are strongly reminiscent of those
phrases. As I have shown, there are a number of such pieces of evidence which
use אדוני (ʾădônay). I think there is actually better evidence for
this than for your claims about אל.

Regards,

Martin Shields.