b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] George Howard and Girdlestone on Hebrew in the NT, paper on NT Hebrew issues

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Steven Avery <stevenavery AT verizon.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] George Howard and Girdlestone on Hebrew in the NT, paper on NT Hebrew issues
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 02:05:09 -0400

Hi,

Martin Shields.
Finally, I'll agree with everyone else, your point that "the normal procedure would have been for Jesus to pronounce YHWH when he read aloud from the Tanakh, and for the NT writers to use YHWH in quotes" is what you have to prove, not what you must assert! There are very good indications that this was most certainly NOT the "normal procedure."

Steven
This misses the point.

Proving that Jesus pronounced YHWH would prove ... nothing .. about a unique proposed Hebrew insertion into a Greek autographic text by about 7 New Testament authors. A totally unseen and implausible phenomenon that contradicts known scribal habits and transmissional theory.

This is what, in quite distinct ways, has been proposed by George Howard and Rolf Furuli. And was selectively to doctrine ("context") claimed for the NWT text. Note that this is also totally different than translating a Hebrew text into Greek, or a Chinese text into English, where, for various reasons, you might naturally leave in a couple of Chinese words in Chinese letters for a special purpose.

btw, I would like to know for what Greek verses George Howard proposed the phenomenon for theos. "the removal of the Tetragrammaton from the New Testament and its replacement with the surrogates kyrios and theos" (George Howard). Afaik the NWT and Rolf are only working with kyrios words.

Personally, I am more than happy to conjecturally allow the possibility that Jesus read aloud the Tetragrammaton,. And that this does absolutely nothing to get rid of the scribal habits and textual transmissional impossibilities of the Furuli theory. The elephants in the living room that he will not address.

Interestingly, one of the first writers who looked at this idea was Robert Baker Girdlestone (1836-1923), although he was rather cautious about any idea of the New Testament having an original Hebrew. One of the humorous ironies is that he saw the application "contextually" in exactly the opposite way as Rolf Furuli, and wrote:

Synonyms of the Old Testament: Their Bearing on Christian Faith and Practice ( 1871)
Robert Baker Girdlestone
http://books.google.com/books?id=D3YcA72rnqQC&pg=PA73
But in Phil. 2. 9, we read that God hath highly exalted Christ Jesus, and hath given him the name which is above every name, that in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord (surely Jehovah) to the glory of God the Father.'

Showing that doctrinal translation tampering can be a two-sided coin.

There is a work that touches on the scribal habits and textual transmissional issues some,

Chapter 10: Removal of the Tetragrammaton from Early Greek Manuscripts
http://www.tetragrammaton.org/tetra10.html

And this chapter does discuss very well some (not all) of the issues that I raised in my earlier posts. Actually, some of the issues are raised in that chapter in far more depth than was in my posts. And I see no real weaknesses in this section, although such might be a good discussion on a textual forum like TC-Alternate or possibly a web forum like CARM that has a history of some spirited discussion involving diverse viewpoints.

Earlier post

[b-hebrew] theories of Hebrew writing embedded in Greek NT autographs - then redaction - today proposed emendation
Steven Avery - June 10, 2013
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2013-June/050157.html

Shalom,
Steven Avery