b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Leake <jesleake AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: Rolf <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 11:50:34 +0100

Do read the question, Rolf. 500AD.

John Leake

----------------------------------
ان صاحب حياة هانئة لا يدونها انما يحياها
He who has a comfortable life doesn't write about it - he lives it
----------------------------------

On 11 Jun 2013, at 11:35, "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no> wrote:

Dear Ken,

Your comments are misleading, because you ignore the graphic evidence. The correct sequence is:

LXX: YHWH, IAO.
NT: ???.
Vulgate:Dominus.

For the record, I would like to add that Jerome, who translated the Vulgate, wrote regarding LXX manuscripts:"The teragram, the name of God, we find in particular Greek scrolls today in old characters." (Prologus Galeatus. Migne PL 28.594f.)  Origen wrote: "In the most exact copies the name is found in Hebrew characters, not in the characters of today, but in old  characters." (Origen on Psalm 2,1. Migne, PG 12, 1104).

The Greek translations of Aquila (c. 130 CE), Theodotion (second century CE), and Symmacus (near the end of the second century CE) all have the name of God written as PIPI; Aquila also used Paleo-Hebrew Tetragrams. These three translations were included in Origen's Hexapla. Jerome says regarding PIPI: "The tetragram, which is regarded as inexpressible,, is written in these letters, yod, he, waw, he, which leads certain people who do not understand it to read PIPI, because of the similarity with its elements, when they find it in Greek letters." (Ep. 25, ad Marcellum. CSEL 54, 219)

I would also mention that Syro-Hexapla (an extremely literal Syriac translation of a part of Origen's Hexapla) has MRY) (Marya "lord) instead of YHWH. In the marigins of some Syro-Hexapla manuscripts we find HEHE and in others PIPI. This suggests that tetragrams in Paleo-Hebrew and Aramaic script were found in LXX manuscripts and probably also in Syraiac manuscripts.

So, in addition to the fact that all LXX manuscripts up to 50 CE have YHWH or IAO, there is evidence that God's name continued to be used in Greek and Syraic manuscripts for several centuries CE.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway