b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Abernathy <mabernathy AT conwaycorp.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:30:34 -0500

Correct me if I have been misinformed but I remembered some notes I took several years ago from Ernst Würthwein's book The Text of the Old Testament.  He noted that the Isaiah scroll used אָדוֹן for יהוה in Isaiah 3:17 and conversely in 6:11 7:14; 9:7; 21:16; 28:2.  He concluded that it was obvious that Adonai was read for the Tetragrammaton when the Isaiah scroll was made. I cannot see how anyone can make a strong argument that early translations from the Hebrew consistently used the divine name.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy