b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 09:38:18 +0200

Dear Jerry,

I find the situation a little amusing, or at least strange. I have referred
to graphic evidence for a corruption of the LXX and NT text. But no evidence
in favor of )DNY being used as a substitute for YHWH before our common era
has been produced. Nontheless, my evidence has met a high cry of indignation,
whereas the substitution of )DNY for YHWH has been accepted without any
evidence.

I have shown that all (the few) the LXX and LXX-like fragments we know have
God's name in Hebrew or Greek characters. The oldest LXX manuscripts from CE
(second century CE) have the nomina sacra KS where the quoted Hebrew text
quoted has YHWH. This is graphic evidence that the text has been changed;
YHWH has been deleted and KS has been written instead. By the standard
definition the text have been corrupted. Then I have pointed out that the NT
manuscripts from the second century CE have KS as well. No one has argued
that KS occurred in the NT autographs, and if that was not the case, the NT
text is also corrupted in the same way as the LXX text. This is again graphic
evidence, and as philologians we must ask what was in the NT autographs when
the second century manuscripts have the corrupted KS.

Both when the NT writers quoted from the Hebrew text and from the LXX, they
found YHWH in some form. Why should the NT writers delete YHWH and use KURIOS
instead when this would be a violation of what is said in the Tanakh, for
example in Exodus 3:15? The argument has been made that the NT writers
followed the superstitious custom of avoiding pronouncing YHWH and pronounce
)DNY instead. And you repeat the argument that )DNY was pronounced instead
of YHWH before our common era. Please give evidence that )DNY was used as a
SUBSTITUTE for YHWH before the common era.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway