b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Timothy Lawson <lostntym8 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>, <sshead.email AT gmail.com>, <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 21:23:09 -0600

Bryant,

    Thank you so much! I will indeed give attention to those verses as well as the ones in your previous post as time permits!

T. Scott Lawson

From: bjwvmw AT com-pair.net
To: lostntym8 AT hotmail.com; sshead.email AT gmail.com; rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no; b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: G. Geroux and the Name
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 17:32:54 -0700

Dear Timothy,

If you have the opportunity checkout Ezekiel. The MT text has the following:

1:2    דְבַר־יְ֠הוָה  κύριος
1:3    יַד־יְהוָֽה׃  κύριος
1:29    כְּבֹוד־יְהוָ֑ה  κύριος
2:4    אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהֹוִֽה׃  κύριος
    NOTE: אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהֹוִֽה׃  The MT has this in the vast majority of instances in Ezekiel. LXX, in this instance, is translating,  אֲדֹנָ֥י, by κύριος and leaving, יְהֹוִֽה, untranslated; at least that is what it appears to me to be happening. The NIV translates as "Sovereign Lord," while KJV translates it as "Lord GOD." Elsewhere, the vast majority of instances also has κύριος translating יְהֹוִֽה.
Now note that the tetragrammaton deals with the CONSONANTS ONLY. The vowel points are NOT original to the text.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III