b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Shead <sshead.email AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 20:21:05 +1000

Dear Rolf,

I'm still struggling to see how you can use the language you are using - like "graphic evidence for a corruption of the LXX and NT text", lumping the two together as if they were on the same level.

Let's see if I can understand your reasoning on the "graphic evidence" (please correct me if it is wrong):

1. The manuscript evidence for the LXX proves that the original text had YHWH, and at a later time this was (inexcusably) changed to κυριος (note: clearly a different word). Thus, graphic evidence for the "corruption" of the LXX.

(Incidentally, I don't think the evidence for this is very strong - there simply aren't a lot of manuscripts on which to base the conclusion, and Martin has presented balancing evidence. But it doesn't bother me if your conclusion is correct, so I'm not going to challenge it here.)

2. There are also LXX manuscripts which have the shortened form ΚΣ. That is, in the case of the LXX, your reconstruction is YHWH --> κυριος --> ΚΣ.

3. The "graphic evidence" in the case of the NT also shows the change κυριος --> ΚΣ (not a new word, as we have observed).

4. Therefore, it's obvious that the progression in the case of the NT was also YHWH --> κυριος --> ΚΣ.

Is that it??

I'm also still wrestling with your language of "corruption" in the NT. Which of the following are you implying?

1. The "corruption" was the change κυριος --> ΚΣ. I've already indicated that it is ludicrous to put this in the same basket as YHWH --> κυριος, and talk about evidence of corruption in the LXX and the NT with regard to the Name.

2. The "corruption" was the supposed change YHWH --> κυριος **in the text of the NT itself** (e.g. the original NT authors quoted the Hebrew Scriptures in Greek, but using YHWH directly, and later copyists changed this to κυριος). Again, there is no "graphic evidence" for such a corruption - it is speculation.

3. It would have been an unthinkable "corruption" if the original NT authors had, in the process of quoting the Hebrew Scriptures, changed YHWH by "translating" it as κυριος. Unthinkable - therefore they didn't.

Number 3 is what you got to in your final paragraph to Jerry. Is this not, in fact, the entire argument? (And ... though I hate to bring up the elephant sitting in the corner ... isn't it only unthinkable given your theological stance? It's not unthinkable if that is in fact what they did.) But all the evidence goes against your reasoning: zero NT textual evidence, and historically highly improbable to have happened with no manuscript trace.

OK, I'll bow out of the discussion now - I've said my piece, and it's gone on long enough. Happy for you to have the last word.

Best regards,
Stephen Shead.