b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Shead <sshead.email AT gmail.com>
  • To: Timothy Lawson <lostntym8 AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 19:51:59 +1000

Dear Scott (do you go by that or Timothy??? I'm a little confused...),

Just a small note: I wasn't entirely sure what you were trying to say here either. But I hope you weren't taking my reply to confirm that κύριος ο θεός is clunky grammar, or that we should draw certain conclusions from that! Everything I said was qualified by "IF it is awkward grammar...".

And to clarify again (at the risk of sounding like a broken record): The LXX may be relevant if you're asking a number of questions. Was there a precedent to the use of κύριος for YHWH in the NT? Assuming one influenced the other, in which direction did the influence go? etc. But nothing we observe about the LXX increases by one iota .. or alpha or omega :) ... the probability that the original NT texts originally included the Tetragrammaton - whether in Hebrew script or transliterated into Greek script. They didn't. That's what 100% of the evidence says.

Best regards,
Stephen.