b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Timothy Lawson <lostntym8 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <sshead.email AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 19:18:06 -0600

Dear Stephen,

  Thank you for your reply!

You say: "Style (or "poor grammatical construction") is a perilous basis for this kind of argument - especially in a case like this, where we are talking about a highly special word/construction, which the author is likely to treat with particular reverence. That is, (1) how are we to know just how awkward-sounding a particular Greek phrase would have been to a Second Temple bilingual Jewish ear? and (2) Even if it was awkward grammar in certain contexts, mightn't that have been considered appropriate for such a sacred phrase?"

It is not clear to me what you mean by "perilous" but I think you help me along in my observation that there is something special going on in these clunky phrases that include κύριος ο θεός. And the fact that the Tetragrammaton appears in the MT where the hand of the scribe/translator is applied at these points should draw our attention. BDAG and other great minds intimate that κύριος seems to have the status of a personal name - יהוה. If there is truth in this, if it has such a meaning then what is wrong in translating as such?