b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 21:51:07 -0600

Hi Timothy,

I think I understand what you're getting at now; though I may still be wrong.  My responses to your three points are interspersed below.

1.) ιαω or יהוה was originally in the earliest copies of the LXX

JS:  Is there any substantial, physical, extant evidence for this?  I know there is one DSS fragment of Leviticus that uses ιαω; but this is insufficient to draw conclusions about chronological development.

2.) The use of κύριος as a substitute for ιαω or יהוה

JS: As a substitute for the tetragrammaton, yes; but this is at the point of translation, and corresponds with the practice already in place of substituting Adonai for YHWH.  But not a substitution for ιαω.

3.) The awkward Greek construction of κύριος ο θεός which may be a telltale sign that something has been altered.

JS: The so-called awkwardness would simply be the result of accommodation to the practice of pronouncing Adonai rather than Yahweh.

You can let me know if I've understood you correctly.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary