b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Malachi 2:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Malachi 2:4
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 04:34:32 +0000

Karl,

You wrote Isaiah 2:4, but I think you meant Malachi 2:4. Anyway, you said
that the infinitives of other verbs are used the same way. Could you point
out one or two examples of other verbs used the same way as "to be" in
Malachi 2:4? I was just trying to understand a literal way of translating the
quote because it does seem to be strange that the "le" is in front of the
infinitive, but the translation has it in front of the subject of the verb. "
I sent my commandment to you for (that) My covenant to be (will be) with
Levi."

I have seen Isaiah 49:6 translated both ways. "I have given you for a light
of nations to be My salvation unto the end of the earth" and "I have given
you for a light of nations for My salvation to be unto the end of the earth."
Which do you think makes sense?

Kenneth Greifer