b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Malachi 2:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Malachi 2:4
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 18:05:11 +0000

I asked about Malachi 2:4 "I sent to you this commandment to be My covenant
with Levi" or "for the being of My covenant with Levi", but I guess I could
have looked up the verb myself.

In 2 Kings 15:19, I think it says a king paid another king "to be his hands
with him..." or maybe "for the being of his hands with him."

1 Kings 8:16 says G-d did not choose to build a house "to be His name there"
or "for the being of His name there."

Isaiah 10:2 "...to be widows their prey (their spoil)" sounds better as
"...for the being of widows their prey (their spoil)".

I guess in these examples, the verb is used as "for being of" and not "to
be". WHo knows for sure though.

Kenneth Greifer