b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Malachi 2:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Malachi 2:4
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 12:49:46 +0000

Malachi 2:4 is usually translated "...I have sent this commandment to you for
My covenant to be with Levi..."

I think it could be translated "...I have sent this commandment to you to be
My covenant with Levi..." or "...I have sent this commandment to you for the
being of My covenant with Levi..."

Could it mean the commandment is meant to be the covenant or does it
literally say "for the being of My covenant with Levi"?

The only similar quote I could find is Isaiah 49:6.

Isaiah 49:6 is usually translated "...I have given you for a light of
nations for My salvation to be until the ends of the earth."

Isaiah 49:6 is sometimes translated "...I have given you for a light of
nations to be My salvation unto the ends of the earth."

Could Isaiah 49:6 literally say "...I have given you for a light of nations
for the being of My salvation unto the ends of the earth."

Is the verb "to be" used in an unusual way in these quotes or are other verbs
used in a similar way?

Kenneth Greifer