b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Malachi 2:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Barry H." <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Malachi 2:4
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 09:20:02 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "kenneth greifer" <greifer AT hotmail.com>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2011 8:49 AM
Subject: [b-hebrew] Malachi 2:4

Malachi 2:4 is usually translated "...I have sent this commandment to you for My covenant to be with Levi..."

I think it could be translated "...I have sent this commandment to you to be My covenant with Levi..." or "...I have sent this commandment to you for the being of My covenant with Levi..."

Could it mean the commandment is meant to be the covenant or does it literally say "for the being of My covenant with Levi"?

The only similar quote I could find is Isaiah 49:6.

Isaiah 49:6 is usually translated "...I have given you for a light of nations for My salvation to be until the ends of the earth."

Isaiah 49:6 is sometimes translated "...I have given you for a light of nations to be My salvation unto the ends of the earth."

Could Isaiah 49:6 literally say "...I have given you for a light of nations for the being of My salvation unto the ends of the earth."

Is the verb "to be" used in an unusual way in these quotes or are other verbs used in a similar way?

Here is the ESV:

Mal 2:4 So shall you know that I have sent this command to you, that my covenant with Levi may stand, says the LORD of hosts.

ASV:

Mal 2:4 And ye shall know that I have sent this commandment unto you, that my covenant may be with Levi, saith Jehovah of hosts.

KJV:

Mal 2:4 And ye shall know that I have sent this commandment unto you, that my covenant might be with Levi, saith the LORD of hosts.

RSV:

2:4 So shall you know that I have sent this command to you, that my covenant with Levi may hold, says the LORD of hosts.

and for good measure the NIV:

And you will know that I have sent you this warning so that my covenant with Levi may continue," says the LORD Almighty.

Now what translations use your rendering above?

Now, better minds may correct me, but I seem to recall that the infinitive construct with Le is used to show purpose, and all the translations I have cited above seem to do that (and I'll wager similarly for Isa 49:6, though I don't have the time to check right now).

N.E. Barry Hofstetter, semper melius Latine sonat...
The American Academy
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Salvatori Excellence in Education Winner)

The North American Reformed Seminary
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry