b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Malachi 2:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Malachi 2:4
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 17:41:36 -0700

Kenneth:

What you are running into is an example of where Hebrew grammar and ways of
saying things has no exact equivalent in English, rather the English way of
saying the same idea is quite different.

In each of these cases, the subject of the verb follows the infinitive verb,
and that is true not only of the verb “to be” as can be seen in your Isaiah
2:4 example. In each of these cases, the idea is “for the purpose of …”

Now, there are better ways of translating that …

Karl W. Randolph.