b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh in two root nouns with patah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh in two root nouns with patah
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:15:01 -0800

Will:

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 5:31 AM, Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:27:48 -0800, K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Arnaud:
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Arnaud Fournet
> > <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>wrote:
> >

> I would tend to agree about Biblical times, but the transliterations in
> the LXX indicate a softening had taken or was in the process of taking
> place. That's post-Biblical, of course, but it brings the change down a
> lot closer than c. 1000 AD.

Yes, that is true. But looking at transliterations from other times and
places seems to indicate that the softening started in the south (Egypt) and
gradually moved north, and as late as the New Testament (preserved in the
Majority text) was still incomplete in Galilee.

Further, when looking at the pre-Babylonian Exile writing, there was no room
for dots to indicate any putative doubling, rather doubling had to be
explicit, and in the examples give by George, all but one have different
meanings with an explicit doubling.