b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jason Hare <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 22:15:05 -0600

Of course. Thanks for the correction.

I thought it would be obvious what I was referring to. Here are the two
verses:

Jeremiah 23:6
BYMYW TW$( YHWDH WY%R)L Y$KN LB+X WZH-$MW )$R-YQR)W H' CDQNW
בְּיָמָיו תִּוָּשַׁע יְהוּדָה וְיִשְׂרָאֵל יִשְׁכֹּן לָבֶטַח
וְזֶה-שְּׁמוֹ אֲשֶׁר-יִקְרְאוֹ ה׳ צִדְקֵנוּ׃

Jeremiah 33:16
BYMYM HHM TW$( YHWDH WYRW$LM T$KWN LB+X WZH )$R-YQR)-LH H' CDQNW
בַּיָּמִים הָהֵם תִּוָּשַׁע יְהוּדָה וִירוּשָׁלִַם תִּשְׁכּוֹן לָבֶטַח
וְזֶה אֲשֶׁר-יִקְרָא-לָהּ ה׳ צִדְקֵנוּ׃

The verses are nearly identical.

Differences:

1) "in his days" vs. "in those days"
2) "and Israel will dwell" vs. "and Jerusalem will dwell"
3) "and this is his name which" vs. "and this is what"
4) "he will call him" vs. "he will call her"

The context and form of the verses are identical. Neither is speaking
of the name of the Messiah. The first is talking about a theophorical
title give to Israel and the second is the same title given to
Jerusalem.

Jason Hare
Rehovot, Israel