b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: TedBro AT aol.com
  • To: aaa AT endlyss.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 11:01:04 EST

Hi, All:

One approach to Richard's question is to analyze the vowel marks for YHWH
in the phrase Adonai YHWH as compared with YHWH alone. Both occur multiple
times in Isaiah 50. Adonai YHWH is found in verses 4, 5 and 7. YHWH without
Adonai occurs in verse 1 and then twice in verse 10.

In both Adonai YHWH and stand alone YHWH, the vowel under the Y is a shva.
In my understanding a shva on an initial consonant is normally followed by
a consonant with its own vowel so that the combination becomes a sort of
consonant blend. However the first H does not carry a vowel in the MT. This
is perhaps a clue that something unusual is afoot. One way to understand
this is to note that the first vowel of both Adonai and Elohim is aleph with
hatuph, which becomes a shva when moved under the yod of YHWH.

More clearly, notice how the vowel under the vav differs. In the phrase,
Adonai YHWH, it would make little sense to pronounce YHWH as Adonai since
that would produce the duplication Adonai Adonai. Custom is to read Elohim
in
these cases. In fact we find a hireq under the vav of YHWH in these
instances. In the stand alone, when YHWH is pronounced Adonai, the vav has a
qamatz. What other explanation could there be for the hireq other than the
traditional Qere / Kitiv?

One question I have for the list is: What happened to the holem? Both Adon
ai and Elohim have medial vav-holem. The common understanding of the
transliteration Jehovah is the the "o" is derived from that medial holem.
It
seems that I have seen YHWH written with the holem in the MT, but a cursory
look did not find one. Can anyone explain this?

Thanks,
Ted Brownstein

In a message dated 12/23/2009 8:21:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,