b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Halhul, Jezreel and Timnah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Halhul, Jezreel and Timnah
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:38:46 +1100

Hi Isaac!

I have no doubt that there is no doubt in your mind of the veracity of your
theories. I have little doubt in my mind about the veracity of my own. We all
believe we're right. Yet, you have to admit that your theories are very
radical (excuse the pun!).

Given this, I am yet to see any convincing evidence from you about why your
theory is right. You can produce circumstantial evidence all you like, but
you need to bridge the gap between circumstantial evidence and plausible
theory.

When I stated that your theories are not supported by anyone else, I was not
saying that they must, therefore, be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time a
majority has been wrong. However, it does mean that most people think you are
wrong, so you have a struggle on your hands. In a previous post you argued
that 'some' people argue for one thing in line with your theory, while there
are 'some' others who argue something else using your theory. I'd like to
know who these 'some' people are. If your theory has more supporters, I think
it would be in your interest to proffer them.

Until you do, I find it disconcerting that you comment through your theories
on Hebrew as though they are mainstream. In the interests of fair
representation, I think it's right to correct this misleading impression. I'm
not saying you can't offer your view - I'm not out to censor you in any way.
I just want more convincing evidence from you and, if there is, evidence of
the dissemination of your theories.

As I've stated in the past, the major problem with your theory in my view
seems to be that it does not appreciate how languages work, but rather
interprets them more like a mathematical code. The conceptuality you bring to
Hebrew seems to cut against the grain of human expression. It might be all
well and good for a computer, but it is not how humans operate, to my
knowledge. I have never claimed to be the last authority on Semitic languages
- goodness me! Anyone who claims to have figured out Hebrew in its entirety
is either a liar, deluded, or incredibly selfish for not sharing it with the
rest of us and convincing us.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au