b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Documentary Hypothesis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Documentary Hypothesis
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:19:42 +1100

Hi Rolf!

I must admit to skipping a little bit of your post. However, let me respond
to what I did read.

I am in agreement with you about Systemzwang. The Hebrew verbal system is one
of the most obvious cases, as you yourself note.

With regards to the Torah, Isaiah, and Daniel - I beg to differ.

While many today might simply rest on the conclusions of a previous
generation without reconsidering the assumptions, etc., not all scholars do
this. I came to critical study of the Bible from a particular faith
perspective, and had all my assumptions challenged in the process. The
ensuing learning and research which this engendered was invaluable, and I
think I can safely say that I didn't fall into the Systemzwang trap you
mention. Indeed, one of the ways I teach my own students now is not to feed
them my own conclusions (or anyone else's), but rather to raise issues and
possibilities. I grade their work on their ability to interact critically
with arguments rather than their ability to duplicate past views.
Regards,

In the case of Torah, Isaiah, and Daniel, I think the arguments for Mosaic
authorship (Torah), 8th century BC (Isaiah), and 6th century BC (Daniel) are
highly problematic. There are historical issues, literary issues, as well as
theological issues which, in my mind, militate against these dates. This does
not mean it is impossible to argue for these dates. But, as I've said many a
time, there is a big difference between possibility and probability.

For example, the arguments that the historical difficulties and ambiguities
in Dan 1-6 can be overcome such that a 6th century BC date can be maintained
is like a house of cards - possible to erect, but quite flimsy. To me, the
argument sounds a bit like saying, "Well, if there is a left-handed albino
midget from Tanzania who plays ukulele on Tuesdays in Buenos Aires, then yes,
Daniel is a 6th century BC work."

Nonetheless, the way to overcome Systemzwang is not to propose traditional
dates of authorship, but to acknowledge probability and to have the epistemic
humility to acknowledge that there is always at least a modicum of doubt to
our conclusions, meaning they are always provisional. That includes your
conclusions and mine.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au