b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 19:24:30 -0800

Dear Martin and Karl,

I should have reference Gesenius' Hebrew Grammar, page 483, Para. 152y, #2. It
states the following:

"2. Two negatives in the same sentence do not neutralize each other (as in
'nonulli, non nemo'), but make the negation more emphatic (like 'OUK OUDEIS,
OUK
OUDAMWS, 'NULLI-NON, NEMO NON'); E.G. zP 2:2 (if the text is correct) This
especially applies to the compounds formed by the union of )ayN, BeLI with
MiN-,
without (para. 119y), e.g. Is 5:9; (6:11 ) (Jer. 2:15,) prop. without no
inhabitant, i.e. so that no inhabitant is left there. On the other hand, in Is
50:2 is causative; as also Ex 14:11; 2 K 1:2, 6, 16. In Ec 3:11 except that
(yet
so that man cannot, &c.)."
I would also refer you to BAGD, 2nd Edition, pp. 576-577, which gives a good
description of the use of hOPWS MH in section 2 and 2a references
Blass-DeBrunner, paragraph 369 and Robertson, 985-87.
"a. to indicate purpose (in order that, neg. hP. MH in order that...not"
(Bl-D, para. 369; Rob. 985-7).
Thus, the LXX reads, hOPWS MH EURNi... This appears to indicate that the
translator of Ecclesiastes 3:11 is giving the exact equivalent of the Hebrew.

Now, regarding )asher, see Gesenius, paragraph 138, The Relative Pronoun
especially sub-section "a."

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III