b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 1:19,21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 1:19,21
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:43:13 -0400

Harold,

Thank you greatly for your substantial, thoughtful and detailed answer. It is good to know that at least we are in agreement that KRANOT are 'horns' and XARASHIM are the craftsmen destined to sever and cast them off. You might be right, except that if had I been the master of visions I would have shown the prophet 4 beastly war machines rather than 4 measly keratinous spikes salvaged from the local abattoir.

It appears to me that TEXERAC of 2 Samuel 5:24 is 'sally forth', as is the meaning of YEXERAC of Exodus 11:7, which KJV translates, so gently, as 'move'. It seems to me that XARUC as in Proverbs 10:4, is a 'go-getter'. KJV translates it as 'diligent'.

It appears to me that YEXEREDU of Hosea 11:11 (YEXEREDU KeCIPOR MIMICRAYIM) is also 'haste', possibly, I admit, after being jolted into action by God's terrifying lion roar.

Isaac Fried, Boston University