b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 1:19,21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 1:19,21
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 08:45:45 -0500

Steve Miller wrote:
From: Isaac Fried

Harold,

It appears to me that the XARDU (XARCU) of 1 Samuel 13:7 is exactly
the same as the TEXERAC of 2 Samuel 5:24.

Who do you think are the 4 XARASHIM, and what is their function in
Zechariah's vision?

[Steve Miller] I think the 4 workmen are the 4 workmen revealed in the
remaining chapters of Zechariah:
1. the builder in 6:12-13
2. the lowly king in 9:9
3. the shepherd in 11:4-14 & 13:7
4. the servant of the ground in 13:5

Another possibility is the measurer in 2:5 (2:1), but I think that is an
angel.

A theme throughout Zechariah is that God defeats the mighty by humble device
(4:6). All 4 workmen are the Messiah, each from a different point of view,
as in the 4 gospels.i

HH: I find these kinds of comments uncontrolled subjectivism. I have never had any of these thoughts and don't think a natural reading of the texts implies them. The four workmen are seen together. Thus the reader expects them to be four different agents, not the same person depicted four ways.
My problem is: What is the text saying that the 4 workmen do in 2:4 (1:21)?
At this point I think it means that the 4 workmen bring the nations into the
fear and trembling [of God] so that, due to fear [of God], they do not
praise the mighty kings which scattered Judah.

HH: The workmen are agents used by God to defeat the world powers that attack Israel. The image is one of the purposeful use of force. The nations are hostile to Israel. Please read the post I sent to Isaac about this passage a few days ago, if you haven't already.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard
-Steve Miller
Detroit