b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 1:19,21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Shoshanna Walker'" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>, <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 1:19,21
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:12:01 -0400

> From: Shoshanna Walker
>
> You don't have to think, it is known.
>
> The four horns represent the four kingdoms - Babylonia, Persia/Medea,
> Greece, Rome, - that would persecute Israel, until the final
> Maschiach; the four carpenters are the successive conquerers who
> would conquer these kingdoms. The fourth and final conquerer will
> be Mashiach.
>
> Shoshanna

[Steve Miller]
Thanks Shoshanna. This is the standard Christian explanation also. I did not
know that it came from Jewish sources.

One problem I have with that explanation is that, as far as I know,
Persia/Media never scattered Israel, Judah, or Jerusalem. Rather they helped
Judah to return from Babylon.
-Steve Miller
Detroit