b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:43:44 -0600

Bryant J. Williams III wrote:
I have been reading the discussion of Haggai 2. It seems that everyone is
getting away from the text in question and we probably should return to it.

Malachi 3:1 uses a different Hebrew word, chapetz, for the idea of "delight,
pleasure" (See TWOT, Volume 1, pages 709-710),
Malachi 3:1, "and YHWH, whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple, the
messenger of the covenant in whom you delight in: behold, he shall come,
saith the YHWH Sebaoth."
chamdath is used in Haggai 2;7, ..."and 'the desire' of all nations shall
come,..."

Now, my question, should we not be looking at the future use of BO
(BETH-ALEPH-HOLEM "come" that is in common with both passages?

HH: This is one of the most common verbs in the Bible and has little to say for interpreting Hag 2:7. As I already showed, there is a close parallel between Hag 2:7 and Isa 60:5, which also uses that verb.

Is. 60:5 Then you shall see and be radiant;
your heart shall thrill and rejoice,
because the abundance of the sea shall be brought to you,
the wealth of the nations shall come [BW)] to you.

You shouldn't ignore all the comments already made and bring in this verse that doesn't even use the noun in Hag 2:7, and point to a verb that has only a loose semantic linkage to the meaning of the noun, and suppose you have drawn a close parallel. Please respond to what the NET Bible said about Hag 2:7. I would surmise that almost all of the recent translations go against the idea that Hag 2:7 is speaking about a person.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard