b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: "B-Hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 21:32:52 +0000

On 11/18/06, Peter Kirk wrote:

I don't know much about this work, but it has attracted two very bad
"spotlight reviews" at Amazon,
http://www.amazon.com/Hebrew-Thought-Compared-Greek-Thorleif/dp/0393005348.
Here is one of them, apparently from a scholar called Williams at UCLA:

I would guess this is Dr. William M. Schniedewind whose email is listed as
williams AT humnet.ucla.edu in this webpage:
http://www.nelc.ucla.edu/Faculty/Schniedewind.htm

> This book assumes the peculiarity of the Hebrew language to make a
> theological point. Unfortunately, the author does not make a
> systematic analysis of either Hebrew or Greek. The arguments of the
> book were completely demolished by James Barr (Regius Professor of
> Hebrew at Oxford University) in his book, The Semantics of Biblical
> Language. While I would urge everyone to study Hebrew (and Greek)
> because it will open up new insights into the Scriptures, this facile
> treatment of Hebrew is not really worthwhile.

These are my thoughts exactly, on the basis of what you and Karl have
described of Boman's work. Go away and read Barr, and then reevaluate Boman.

Yitzhak Sapir