b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:19:57 +0000

On 17/11/2006 20:35, K Randolph wrote:
A little understanding is needed here.

What we are running into here are the differences between what
philosophers call "Hebrew Thought" verses "Greek Thought". What
follows are a few comparisons:

Now what we have here is that, philosophically thinking, Yitzhak is
Greek, while Harold Holmyard, I and in this case Peter Kirk are all
Hebrew. ...

I note that Yitzhak the Hebrew is said to be Greek, whereas Harold, you and I, all Gentiles (I think) are said to be Hebrew. That illustrates to me the total inappropriateness of labelling these philosophical poles "Hebrew" and "Greek". In fact they have very little to do with either language or culture, less still to do with race. However, I think they do have roots in a period of racism, when "Hebrew" was a label for something considered bad and "Greek" for something considered good. Therefore I would suggest that making distinctions with these labels has no place on this list, or anywhere in the contemporary world.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org